DIY Frame Wallpaper

DIY frame wallpaper

This is a sponsored post by ScotchBlueTM Painter’s Tape and Social Chorus, as always words, opinions and imperfect decorating are mine all mine.

I absolutely love this project and I’ve wanted to try it forever!

Graham & Brown wallpaper

A few years ago I saw this beautiful Graham and Brown wallpaper in person. I knew right then that I wanted to replicate it without learning how to hang wallpaper. I’ve been saving the idea in my head waiting for the right place to use it.

DSC_3297

Finally I had the perfect space. Our youngest boys share this room and this wall with the off centered window needed something fun. We just painted this room with a fresh coat of white a few months ago so it was a blank canvas.

DSC_3461

I gathered one bottle of acrylic paint in navy blue, a small foam brush and ScotchBlueTM Painter’s Tape for Delicate Surfaces, when you look for it at the store it looks like this…

And its full given name is: ScotchBlueTM Painter’s Tape for Delicate Surfaces with Advanced Edge-Lock™ Paint Line Protector #2080EL

DSC_3342

First I pulled out the bed and practiced on the wall in a place that I knew no one would ever see. I simply taped up rectangles of different sizes with the ScotchBlueTM Painter’s Tape. I didn’t worry about trying to get level lines with perfect right angles. Actually, you don’t want that for this project. We are going for imperfection here, just like in the inspiration wallpaper.

I noticed that all of my rectangles seemed to lean in one direction so I made it a point to create some lines that angled in the opposite direction as well to help balance it.

I didn’t fret over my mistakes because I knew the bed would cover them up and, it’s only paint, I could always paint right over it if I hated it.

DSC_3358

I quickly learned that the thinner paint lines looked better than thicker ones. So after I taped off some rectangles I used my foam brush to paint making sure to only let a small amount of paint go on the actual wall, most of the paint covered the tape as opposed to the wall. When I peeled the tape away it revealed a quirky, imperfect rectangle.

I tried using a small paint brush as well, but I liked the control that the foam brush gave me and the lines were thicker and darker with the foam brush.

DSC_3366

I worked my way up the wall, being sure to have some of the rectangles look like they are unfinished where the “wallpaper” would have hit the corner where the two walls meet.

DSC_3450

At first I assumed I’d create lots of rectangles inside each other like the original wallpaper, but I thought the simple version looked great. Over time the boys can tack up photos and mementos on the wall and it will still look purposeful because of the rectangles.

This project took less than three hours for me and my mom to do we started after lunch and had it photo ready by the time my boys walked in from school!

DSC_3444

DIY frame wallpaper

DIY frame wallpaper

***

Now it’s your turn, enter the Home of ScotchBlue™ Painter’s Tape Contest at www.scotchblue.com/homecontest now through July 15, 2014 and you could win $5,000 to put towards a home makeover! The first 500 to submit an eligible entry will receive one (1) roll of the new ScotchBlue™ Painter’s Tape with Advanced Edge-Lock™ Paint Line Protector.

Check out this project as a featured project example in the contest.

Check out ScotchBlue on Pinnterest and Facebook and Twitter

Contest open to legal residents of the U.S. and D.C. (excluding AZ, MD, NJ, ND, TN and VT), who are 18+ (19+ in AL & NE and 21+ in MS) at the time of entry. Void where prohibited. Enter from June 2, 2014 at 12:00:01 a.m. CT through 11:59:59 p.m. CT on July 15 2014. All contest communications, entry/judging criteria and details subject to the full Official Rules. Sponsor: 3M Construction and Home Improvement Markets Division, St. Paul, MN.

I am happy to be a 3M sponsored blogger, and, as part of my responsibilities, I get the opportunity to evaluate new products from ScotchBlue™ Painter’s Tape. Opinions are my own and additional product used in the project were selected by me.

Comments

1. I like it, but it seems like using the tape is really unnecessary. It would be more simple to just completely free-hand the squares.

• Yes, you could do it with out the tape, it would be a little different look–unless you have a steady hand, all of the outside edges of our rectangles are completely straight lines and that offsets the randomness of the inside lines and I like that mix, but I think it would be fun to try it free hand too!

2. Bethany says:

I love how the wall design and the curtains really help to point to things other than the off-center window.

3. Did you mean to post this already? The contest doesn’t start until June 2

4. I don’t see the need for the tape either especially when looking at the inspiration paper’s free form look. I think I’d just wing it and save myself the tape tearing and placing time.

5. I LOVE this!! It reminds me of the apartment the 3 guys shared in the movie 3 Men and a Baby!

6. You always do great inspiration decorating jobs with the challenges you are given. The boys room looks great, and this treatment does a great job taking the focus off that off centered window.

7. I love this idea! Now I’m trying to think of a wall in my house where I could try it….

8. I love this idea! Thank you for sharing…I might do something similar to this in one of our rooms. And thank you for the opportunity to win something! I love your decorating style, and I’ve loved seeing it evolve over the past years. Have a great day! God bless!

9. Jennifer says:

Oooh, I’ve loved that wallpaper since first seeing it but this is brilliant (and inexpensive…my favorite combination!) Now to find a wall….

10. The wall turned out awesome. You are an inspiration.
    Thanks for sharing.

11. Oh, I love this wallpaper! What a fun idea!

12. Have you or your boys thought about them drawing/doodling inside the squares….:)

13. Christina says:

LOVE IT!

14. Oh! I am envisioning this on the main wall of my family roon with pics and quotes in the squares!! What an awesome idea!

15. Very cool. I love this for the playroom and maybe a piece of fun tac in the middle to hold up favorite art.

16. This is such a fun look! Thanks for the tips! I’m afraid I couldn’t free hand it that well, but maybe making some stencils of different size rectangles would be easy enough, too. Can I ask: How do you adhere the quotes and photos inside the rectangle frames? Use tape on the back? Thanks! (Got your book. Love.It.)

17. Gretchen says:

LOVE IT!! Great idea!! It turned out SOOOOO GOOD!!

18. What a super cool idea, especially for a boy’s room! I love it and I bet your boys did too. Or maybe not. My boys don’t seem to get as excited about my projects as I do, even when it is a really cool idea! : )

19. So cute! Love a quick easy project! Would be fun in our playroom!

20. Oh my, your creativity is never-ending! I LOVE this! Looks awesome, and what a great way to incorporate ‘wall paper’ in a boys’ bedroom.

21. I LOVE this look! Since Scotch will not be sponsoring me :-), do you think it would work to cut different rectangles and trace them with a paint pen or a Sharpie to cut out the taping step? But I really like your irregular edges, and I’m not sure a Sharpie would achieve that…

• Oh yes, that’s a great idea too to trace, I’m the imperfectionist so I LOOOOVE the imperfect, I find if if try to make it perfect, it never turns out quite right anyway and the small imperfections look worse than if I give in and purposely make it all quirky and imperfect.

22. I would absolutely need the tape. Love what you did! Could you please tell us about your boys’ beds? My big boys are already in beds and it’s time for my 3.5 yo to get one. He’s begging. Thinking about storage underneath as he doesn’t have a closet.

• Oh those beds are 10 years old and a big fat pain, we wouldn’t buy them again :) but I do love how they look, just moving a lot can make a difficult to put together bed (times 3) a huge pain in the rear!

• I think we have the same bed (it has a trundle underneath)-and I totally agree on the heavy, pain comment! It looks cool, and it has withstood 3 boys and 4 moves. But it is impossible to move around easily and I thought dh might have to be sedated when trying to put it back together. It’s also “squeaky” and I don’t think very comfortable. If I had it to again I would go for metal “cots” like you can order off of Amazon for far less $$$.

23. I would DEF want the tape. It would totally help me stand back and define where it’s all going before getting started. Great project and pinning!! xo
    (PS: Your images aren’t named yet so I am going to rename the pin “DIY Frame Wallpaper”) :)

24. This? Is awesome. One of my favorite things you’ve done. I’m doing this in Sam’s room as soon as possible.

25. Christie says:

I can see what some are saying about totally free-handing the frames, but I like the straight edge with the irregular edge. Looks great.

26. love.
    times a thousand.

27. This really elevates the look of the room. Love it.

28. Rad!! Did you cheat the curtains a bit, too? Looks good! :)

29. I love when we pocket ideas then all of a sudden have some place to use them! I totally see how the tape improved the overall look. You get the benefit of a straight crisp line but the painterly line at the same time. Great ideas for addressing the off center window!

30. Love it! What a fun idea for a kids room – I’ve always loved that wallpaper too but wallpaper is just too much commitment for me. This is way easier to change down the road!

31. Antonella says:

I think the way you used the tape is so practical. In order to achieve this mix of straight and irregular edges free hand one should be a real artist. Now, with the tape even I can try! Well done (as usual! :-))
    hugs

32. Perfect! I’m considering trying it with dark red and navy blue paint in a small bathroom. Maybe not. Maybe I’ll use black. Hmmm, off to decide. Thank you for the inspiration!

33. OK, I’m inspired! I have huge boring sliding closet doors in my laundry room that need a change. :)

34. Mindy’s idea is exactly what I would do if I were to duplicate this look. Cut a bunch of rectangles out of poster board and mix them up. Much faster and less waste, too.

35. I have this wallpaper pinned and I plan to Sharpie rectangles on my wall of my boys’ room. They will be combining into the nursery together, soon. So, Sharpies at the ready!

Love your version!

36. Chalkboard paint inside a few and write special notes while they are at school or away so they find them when they return.

37. Samantha says:

LOVE it! It adds so much character! And what a fun way for them to grow their own inspiration wall!

38. Love this. Seems like if you have more drapes, you could actually simulate a centered window by centering the rod in the room…The wall looks great!! Love your blog!

39. I took a sharpie and drew birch trees on my boys wall, I probably could have used paint like this! Cute idea.

40. I get giddy when you do really awesome things and that is the best!!! I want to do that in my son’s room… I get extra excited when I read 3M sponsors you – I am a proud 15+ years 3M employee and to see our products out in the “real world” thrills me to no end!!! Whoot whoot!

41. Totally. Awesome.

42. Just finished reading your new book. Wonderful!

43. What a fun, creative idea! Love the look.

44. Jennifer says:

So doing this in the oldest boys room when we move.

45. What an incredibly cool idea! I love the look with wall and curtains

46. Oh this looks awesome! Great job :)

47. This is so crazy good! We have some huge blank walls in our house that would love this treatment.

48. Love this idea! It’s simple but looks great on the walls.

49. Love this! I think I’ve seen that wall paper before and thought it was awesome. I think I like your version better, with the single lines. Looks great!