Tail of a Silhouette

anyone who is tall want to come to my house and hang that top frame better?

I’ve told you more than enough about my beloved silhouettes, right?  Well, I switched out their frames and realized that I had 4 frames and only three boys.  The agony was unbearable trying to figure out what to do with that empty frame.  I knew my husband wouldn’t go for me getting a silhouette of him and I certainly wasn’t going to have one of just me and the boys.  Do I make a silhouette of my hot glue gun?  Have another child? Get a dog?

We decided a dog silhouette would best represent us.  A lab to be exact.  We’ve had two labs in our family, the last one, I recently told you about how we had to get rid of him when we moved.  It was heart wrenching to have to give away my boy’s dog.  To make matters worse, two years ago, my son FOUND a dog, a lab of course.  And no one claimed him.  He stayed with us for a short while and was just about the best dog we’ve ever met.  But, we were renting and so we found a home for this dog with some close friends.

We just found out those close friends are moving and needed to find a home for this very dog.  They called us.  We called our landlord and he has a sweet spot for chocolate labs since he had one as well.  Within a week we had the dog.

You are now thinking I am insane for getting a white sofa and chocolate lab within 10 days of each other.  And you are also thinking that we must have the kindest landlords in the world.  You are right.    The timing is horrible for us to get this dog, we’ve had him for mere days and I’m having 30 women over for the Blessings Unlimited party tomorrow, complete with a mangy dog running around.  I had to clean my house and now there are cute paw prints in my freshly mopped floor. This dog has been one of the best interruptions we’ve ever had.

And now, my silhouette wall is complete. I just googled “Labrador silhouette” and found something I liked, printed it out, cut it out, and framed it up.  Let’s just hope I don’t find another frame hidden somewhere that I forgot about.

Comments

1. Colleen P. says:

You’ll be just fine with the dog-white slipcovers can be washed, that’s why they make bleach! I think the statement “best interruption we’ve ever had” says all that needs saying, really. Good timing or otherwise, you, your family and the dog are obviously happy and needed each other.

My own boy prefers cats, but I think the cats would prefer he had a dog!

2. LOVE the lab silhouette! We are thrilled that he has a good home with lots of kids to love on him!

• Thank you for him! It seems like he’s lived here for years, he is SUCH a good dog! Love you guys. See you soon!

3. Congrats on the dog!!! Dogs are the best. You won’t regret it — white slipcovers and all. I am so glad you silhouette wall is complete!

4. I’d be happy to adjust that frame for you in all my tallness.

I heart you even more now that you have a so adorable new doggie.

5. Oh I love this! You do have great landlords to agree to let you have the dog! LOVE the silhouette (did I spell that right?) and the wall looks FAB!!

And it is a good thing the slip covers are white! They are the easiest to clean right??

Congrats on the new addition, now all you need….is a cat!

I’ll send you a frame! lol

Lou Cinda :)

6. Love it!

I’m needing to jump on this silhouette bandwagon. So refreshing & classic!

7. I think it’s wonderful ya’ll got a dog! My hubby and I adore our little pup. She is our *baby* LOL (we don’t have children). It was one of the best decisions we ever made, deciding to get a dog. They bring such happiness to a home. Labs are great dogs and so good with kids. We have a chocolate lab who lives near us who kind of adopted us until we got our little one almost 5 years ago. I believe he is a little jealous of our pup. Our whole back is fenced in now so not so many visits from “Copper” the lab, but he visited us just last weekend! They have such sweet personalities. Yee-haw, I can’t imagine one in the house though! Copper’s tail could be a weapon of mass destruction!

Love the silhouettes and the dog one is so fitting! Have a great party tomorrow!

tina

• I meant to say – ya’ll do seem to have an amazing landlord, but I’m betting they are thankful to have such good renters. That is not always easy to come by.

hee – I’m responding to myself. LOL

8. OH, he is so cute! In real and silhouette form. :o) What is doggie’s name??

9. I love this post. You and your sister really have the gift of writing. I chuckled and teared up at the same time. What is the new pup’s name?
    Have a wonderful weekend.

10. Oh, Nester! A chocolate lab!! Hallelujah!

Just consider those paw-printed special touches that make your house a home. I want to come rub behind his ears.

11. I love the silhouettes. I really want to do something like this. And how sweet that you took the dog in. ;)

12. I give this arrangement a 4 paws up!

13. From what I’ve seen of your husband he doesn’t strike me as the silhouette kind of guy, so smart move! The hot gun would have actually been pretty funny, but love the dog. These look wonderful…Janell

14. that is so fun! dogs are so fun :]

have a great weekend Nester. heart you.

15. Love it! What a great reminder to focus on what’s important…like little boys and dogs and not clean houses.

16. Such a sweet story. Love the silhouettes. I would fix that top frame for you in a heartbeat. My job in grocery stores is to help little old ladies reach something on the top shelves. I love that they need me!

17. LOVE it! How stinking cute!!!

18. We have 2 labs and a cream slipcover. You’ll be fine.

19. Awwww….love it!

20. When the kids are adults and you all look back at their childhoods… will you remember the paw prints on your slipcovers (well, maybe a bit), but you all will talk about the love that your dog added to everyone’s lives. There is nothing more “pure” and wonderful than the love you get from an animal… and the love you give them back!

Enjoy him to the fullest! What’s his name?
    Love your blog!

21. Love the dog silhouettes. I have a post up now of the four I made for my daughter’s room. So cute you made one of your newest family member. I would be happy to help hang the top picture if I live closer!

22. That’s why labs are the best dogs in the world for kids, not moms.

23. Kimberly Billings says:

Invest in a steam mop! It’ll clean up the paw prints lickity split!! It takes all the time out of mopping and leaves your floors sooo clean! I love it! Love your new dog too!! And the silhouettes…oh and just everything about your home!! Did I use too many exclamation points??? :)

24. Kathy :) says:

Hi there…

Would you mind sharing which nail gun you ended up buying, when you did your office ???

Thanks

25. Jennifer says:

Thanks for sharing the silhouette info. from your boys’ pics. I’ve been wanting to try one for my kids but love Lela’s website and decided to send them to her instead. Her detail is beautiful and totally worth the money, I think. Have a great weekend. Can’t wait to see a pic of the full family room re-do!

26. Jennifer says:

Sorry… LENA’s silhouette’s are beautiful!

27. Yea for getting a dog! That’s such a happy photo of everyone outside.

28. What a great story. Love the photos….can’t spell silhouette…How did you make the ones of your boys?

29. That room is so beautiful. I love every part of it!!!
    Can you just come over right now and duplicate the drapes, pillows and lamps in my room. Those are my colors and everything would work perfect!!!
    I even have a white sectional….. and a white piece of furniture the lamps would fit perfect on….

Please please please :)
    Blessings~
    Rene’

30. So sweet! A house full of boys needs a dog. God is so good. So happy for you all!!! Blessings!

31. Can’t help but think a paw print would have been apropos!!

Funny – I spent some time looking at the photo wondering, “so where is the dog?” ha ha! He’s standing like a child… same height.

I’m happy for you because it sounds like an addition you wanted… but I could never live with a dog in the house!!! Never!

32. Love that you adopted a dog. Love it.

33. Found doggies make the BEST pets! Except mine is a Golden Retriever named Jonathan. : )

34. Cute idea!!

35. Christy says:

We have a 4 month old lab “puppy” named Jack too! I put “puppy” in quotes b/c at 4 months he’s nearly 50 lbs! Best decision we ever made, labs make such great family companions! Congrats on the new addition.

I’m dying for a full on tour of your new living room. You keep teasing us with little sneak peaks. So not fair. :(

36. When I first saw this idea, I wanted to make one for my house with a lab sillouette. We have two choc labs. They are an absolute mess (dirty paw prints everywhere and the terrible shedding) but are the best dogs ever. Actually, we prefer to refer to them as “our girls” since we have a son and no daughters. The absolute sweetest pets and beautiful companions for kiddos.

37. i love the dog!! if i did that we’d have to have four dog pictures and four kid pictures. it wouldn’t look near as classy.

38. I love the sillouettes! I love the dog! It’s all good!

39. The dog silhouette is cute! I think one of your husband and you facing each other would have been nice too…..only may not fit in a vertical frame. Congrats on the new dog. It’s nice that you’ve already had a “trial run” with him and know he’s a good fit for your family.

40. We are SO EXCITED for you guys!!!! Your home definitely needed a dog–and what’s the worst thing he can do to that slipcover–if it’s stained beyond belief we will all come back and make you another one. Promise.

41. Joanne B. says:

no house is a home without a dog! teach him “manners” and never invite him up on the sofa. He won’t know what he is missing. This part will be hard, because it is actually easier to train the dog than to train the kids. Oy.

42. What fun! I bet your boys are loving it.

sandy toe

43. Hi, Nester! I’ve been out of town and am just now seeing this. :) I’m excited for you guys! Someone tied up a little old black Pomeranian outside our church two weeks ago during ladies’ Bible study. The grounds keeper took her to the SPCA before I could call my husband. We should be able to finalize her “adoption” tomorrow with the shelter. We already have a Pomeranian, and honestly I’d rather have a large dog, but there was something about her that broke my heart. So, here’s to new pets!! :)

44. Nester – just dropping in to tell you again how great it was to meet you yesterday! Loved being in your home (love, love, love it!) and hanging out there. It IS the perfect nest. Got a chance to meet/chat with Emily as I was leaving. No surprise, she was much fun too. Wish you both lived next door to me. :) I’m loving my free plate – still in shock that I walked out the door with it. :) bb

45. So cute, Nester! I love them in the blue frames. And I’m so happy that your boys have a dog now. Boys need dogs. Our dogs are our son’s best friends. My MIL would never let my husband have a dog growing up, and he feels like he always missed out on something great.

I actually got my son’s first “real” cut silhouette done last weekend and it turned out so well! I was thinking about you the whole time, knowing that you would approve. :)

If you don’t mind me linking, I actually cut out silhouettes of my dogs heads a while back. They are hilarious, but I love them: http://livingwithlindsay.com/2010/01/diy-real-ish-handcut-silhouettes.html I need to get a picture of my curly haired terrier’s silhouette, because it makes me laugh every time I look at it – he’s got some crazy hair!

46. How sweet! Dogs are the best – congrats!!